Western Cape Market Related
Posted: Friday, 13 May 2022
An American family living in Constantia is seeking an exceptional governess/au pair to assist their 2 boys aged 10 & 13 with their schooling, daily activities and with the smooth running of family organization. The family is looking for an energetic, passionate, educator and administrator who loves the outdoors and has the ability to tutor a child with dyslexia and dyspraxia as well as provide overall practical administrative support for the family. The family travels frequently for both business and pleasure, and are looking for additional support to ensure the boys have stability, continuity and academic support. The role will be a job share with the current au pair until June and then will be full time.
No two days will be the same. You may be tutoring in the morning and surfing at the beach in the afternoon. You will help create an exciting schedule for the boys, whilst assisting them with online schooling and additional tutoring as required. You’ll recognize their individual needs and likes and work to ensure they are engaged, challenged and having fun. You will:
- Assist with tutoring in areas where extra support/help is needed.
- Facilitate play dates with friends
- Organize additional activities and outings creating an active schedule.
- Play games, have fun with children once academic work is complete.
- Run errands for children to ensure they have everything they need clothing, shoes, school materials etc.
- Prep food for dinner every day and assist with kitchen clean up.
- Be available to do overnight stays and additional evening care for children when required on occasion.
- Be able to travel with the family to the family farm in Limpopo and further afield when required to ensure the continuity of the boy’s education and childcare.
- Take care of family administration such as appointment booking, general organization, planning, and coordinating.
Who You Are:
You are looking for an adventure, change of pace and role that will be fulfilling and challenging. Excited about the idea of supporting a single family and the benefits of working one on one with a child. You will be an integral member of our family and so we need you to be:
- A recent graduate with either an education or OT background.
- Specialist learning disability experience a definite advantage. Eg dyspraxia & dyslexia
- Have at least 1 year experience in a teaching role.
- Have at least 1 year previous childcare experience.
- Exceptionally responsible
- An experienced driver with a clean driver’s license.
- A self-starter, who is able to work with little direction but can take action and make things happen.
- Exceptionally organized
- Caring and fun
- Must love the outdoors and the bush
- Not overly fierce or authoritarian like yet capable of wrangling tweens!
- A lover of travel and able to cope with last minute changes of schedules and unexpected travel.
- A lover of the African bush.
- Not overly committed in your own home – ie you don’t have dependants who would keep you grounded.
- Emotionally sensitive to the family’s needs – so emotionally intelligent!
- Love children & dogs.
- Have excellent references.
- Have a valid passport.
- Own laptop and phone.
- Live in your own home – the post is “live out” unless we are traveling then your accommodation and food would be provided.
What’s In it for you:
An exciting year of adventure, challenge, fun and new experiences. Compensation is in the range of R125-150 an hour (DOE) with paid travel expenses. A car is available for use for driving children around and running errands. The position is a part time position initially going to full time in June/July ideally. Required to start as soon as possible.